Why Choose a Private Midwife?
Giving birth is one of the most incredible events in a woman’s life. Pregnancy and birth is an intimate and personal experience. The level of the medical care and support you receive, and your confidence in your health care professional, can directly impact on your health, your state of mind and your success in achieving the birth you desire. Your choice of care provider may well be the single most important decision you make as you embark on the road to an empowering and joyous birth. Private Midwives are there to assist you with care you can trust. After all, midwife means “with woman”. We are experienced birth professionals working with you just as your body was designed to birth ~ with loving support, however you choose.
Benefits of a Private Midwife
Research has shown that having a sympathetic and knowledgeable woman with you during labour and birth, reduces the chance of complications and the likelihood of unnecessary interventions. Private Midwives provide complete care throughout your pregnancy and after your birth, including all antenatal and postnatal visits. In addition, your Private Midwife can assist you to birth your baby at home, or accompany you during labour and birth in a hospital or birth centre. Midwives are not able to perform surgical interventions, such as epidurals and Caesarean sections and therefore work hand in hand with a backup obstetrician if needed.
Using the services of a Private Midwife throughout your pregnancy and birth
- Develop a relationship with your Midwife and explain your personal needs and choices.
- Receive continuous support and care throughout your pregnancy.
- Your Midwife will be with you throughout your labour and birth and will advocate for your choices and needs.
- Receive education and information on any procedures, medications and tests required and offered during your birth.
- Support you with your baby’s first breastfeed and ensure postnatal care.
Lower rate of unnecessary interventions
Private Midwives respect pregnancy and birth as a normal event and that each labour and birth unfolds uniquely for each woman. A Private Midwife is respectful, responsive and accepting of your choices whenever medically possible. It is fundamental, therefore that you and your midwife have a good relationship as this will benefit in enabling you to make you feel safe and relaxed during birth. Choosing a Private Midwife, specific to your personality is vital ensuring that your desires for a natural birth and postnatal care will be honoured as much as possible.
Education and Advice
Private Midwives are experts in normal birth, equipped with a wealth of information and advice. Throughout your pregnancy, your Private Midwife will diligently explain all elements of your progress and provide you with information and advice to develop a birth plan that is right for you and your family.Naturally we all hope that our labour and birth will progress according to our birth plan. However this is not always the case. By choosing the care of a Private Midwife you can rest assured that, should an issue develop, your Midwife will be at your side to discuss any procedures, medications or tests, and assist you to make an informed decision.
Your Private Midwife will provide regular, thorough check-ups for you and your baby throughout pregnancy, labour, birth and the postnatal period. As experts in normal pregnancy and birth, Private Midwives are experienced in the many variations of normal birth, and in recognising early signs or symptoms of conditions or complications which may require attention. Being cared for by a Private Midwife throughout your pregnancy, labour and birth enables your Midwife to develop a collective description of what is ‘normal’ for you as an individual, and identify anything of concerns.
- Make recommendations regarding diagnostic testing.
- Provide referrals to other health care professionals if needed.
- Plan with you for unexpected outcomes and emergencies.
- Provide a knowledgeable sounding board with which to discuss your hopes, fears, needs and wishes.
Natural Techniques and Remedies
Private Midwives are skilled in natural techniques and remedies for the everyday symptoms of pregnancy, labour and birth, or can refer you to experienced professionals, such as Reflexologists, Chiropractors and so forth. Your Private Midwife can assist you to:
- Deal with the symptoms of morning sickness.
- Address back pain, headaches, and other pregnancy discomforts.
- Outline the natural techniques available to reduce pain and discomfort during your labour.
- Discuss the effects of medications and interventions during labour, and natural alternatives.
- Assist in preparing you, your partner or support person, for the birth of your baby.
By choosing a private midwife you can rest assured that you will receive the highest levels of care, personalised to your needs, as you embark on the journey from pregnancy to birth and beyond.